Friday 22 February 2013

A Few Of My Favorite Things




A Few Of My Favourite Things

This peachy pink, vintage babies dress found me a few years ago now. 
She was spotted by a family member and she knew that I would love it so she gave it to me. I have had it stored away with all of my other baby dresses that I have collected over the years.
This one is the prettiest shade of peachy pink.
smile :-)



This pretty white doily is a very recent find. 
I'm thinking of making a cushion with it.


and this little treasure had me as soon as I saw the packaging.

It is a pair of shoelaces still new and in unused condition.  I may be wrong but I think these would be from around the 1930's.  The little tips aren't made of plastic like they are these days. These look like they have been made from steel and coated over with layers of paint, so they are strong and never going to fray.
The laces are more like ribbons then laces. They would have been for a pair of lady's lace up court shoes.






My new find are these little hair pins.  All original and unopened.
A little sample pin is poking through the back so the buyer could see what she was buying.
I can just imagine blue rinse hair tints being all pinned up with pins such as these and ladies sitting under big white dryers in a salon.






Well that's all this week my lovely friends.  It is time for rest and relaxation and this rainy weather is setting a perfect scene for staying inside with a good book.  Maybe I might even get a sleep in if I am lucky (cross your fingers for me !)
I have the whole first season of 'Downton Abbey' that I have been trying to watch too.

                       Have a great weekend !




7 comments:

  1. Delightful dress, and I love the hanger too! Have fun making the cushion. Enjoy Downton, we are all addicted here, and after a super-dramatic Christmas special we are champing at the bit for the next series.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Why does everything from across the ocean look just more fascinating than here! those vintage pins are so AMAZING...the way they are wrapped!!!!...everything is awesome!!!! you constantly amaze me! Oh and by the way...i think a flower fairy should be named after you too! lol!!!! and of course she would be wearing flowers and lace...love you my friend...you are the best! : ) hugs hugs and more hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you'll love watching that first season. I hope you do get to rest and relax, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie, thanks for stopping over at Quirky Vistas and checking out my little green termite table. Ha! Yeah, I guess that contact paper was like the cure all. I think these people had put the contact paper over the top to keep the termites in. :) Instead they just ate in the other direction. Ah well, now I have more space on my patio and I can go out and find something else next week, right?

    I love this little dress and those pins all wrapped up in the paper is quite a find. I love how the construction of something like the shoelaces can help us determine the age. Isn't it amazing how well things were crafted back in the day?

    Have a great weekend. Hope you get that rest and time to veg out in front of the TV.
    Liz @ Quirky Vistas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, what a gorgeous little dress!! it is stunning!!! I can't believe someone would let it go...it amazes me what people sell! The hairpins and laces are adorable! I love the ribbon ties...can't you see them in a pair of lovely shoes fluffed just so and hidden under a voluminous skirt!!
    Glad we get to wear jeans and shorts!!
    love ya!
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie,
    I love your baby dress! Those Brazillian embroidery roses are so sweet and pretty.....and Guess what????!!!! I am also wanting to make a cushion with a doily with a peachy pink fabric underneath it! I am so excited....maybe we can plan to do it the same week and both post about it and link to each other's blogs....I need motivation to get things done....Let me know what you think about it! The shoe laces are so amazing, who would have thought they would look so pretty? I have a few packages of hair pins that my mother had in her things ....so much fun....I rememeber her curling my hair when I was little, on Saturday nights after my bath with pin curls so it would be ready for church in the morning....such fond memories...but those pins were pokey sometimes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. An adorable little sweet dress...love the lace...Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete