Friday 31 August 2012

Vintage Recipe......Nan's Lemon Sago Pudding

My Nan is a beautiful cook.
Everything she touches in the kitchen turns into gold.
Rarely does she buy a packet of biscuits or buys a cake. For as long as I have walked the earth she has always made her own.
As a child, a weekend visit to Nan and Pop's house would have me walking straight in their front door, a quick kiss on the cheek followed by a trip to the kitchen to see what smelt so good.
The cake tins were always full, the biscuit jar overflowing and there was always a jelly or a pudding of some description setting in the fridge.
Today I am going to let a secret out of the bag and share one of my nan's recipes.
LEMON SAGO PUDDING

It is simple, delicious and will have your taste buds dancing with delight !

You will need these ingredients
and this is how
The ingredients are simple and apart from the tapioca seeds (sago) you should find most everything already in your kitchen pantry.

Be sure to soak your sago for an hour in boiling water as recipe requires.
When you tip water and sago into the saucepan it may be lumpy.  I find the lumps are easily stirred out or maybe a gentle whisk should do the trick.
Add the ingredients and stir.
Follow the easy recipe and you be fine !

When cooked, pour into a bowl, cool and set in fridge.
I love to eat mine while it's warm !
mmmmmmm
Add a scoop of ice cream....
and I bet the bowl will be finished in no time !
YUM !!

So if you fancy a spot of cooking over the weekend, try this delicious recipe.  It is always a welcome sight in my kitchen. My kids love it !

                      So it's bye for now from the kitchen of
                     FRENCH BLUE AND PEACHY PINK

I am going to take my lemon sago pudding and ice cream and put my feet up and watch a movie.

                Have a fun weekend and I'll see you all next week !

                                                   Melanie
                                                         x

7 comments:

  1. OH BE STILL MY HEART!!!!! this recipe has my name ALL over it!!!!! I love the old old time desserts...my daughter (heather) and i just adore the rice puddings...tapioca...carrot cake type creations that our grannies enjoyed...in new jersey we call it diner desserts...that is because many older people frequent diners and all ages really -- but they always have what we call granny desserts on the menu! this is a NEW one and we ADORE LEMONS!!!!!! Oh I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sending you sweet and sour ; ) hugs!!! much love my friend...your are FABULOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting Andrea, thanks for sharing your story. I love rice pudding as well. Nan also makes bread and butter pudding but I don't like that one as much as it's too heavy. The lemon sago is light and not overly rich so it makes you feel sick. I knew that you'd love this one. Let me know if you like it, hugs right back honey xo

      Delete
  2. Mmmm...this looks deliciously divine Melanie! I ♥tapioca pudding, so I'm sure this will go over well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not tried eggs in this childhood recipe from Mum - otherwise, the recipe is the same apart from using cold water to soak sago before putting pot on the heat.. Trying our own hen eggs today.. with our own bush lemons & may try a duck egg at some time.. also added a pinch of Himalayan salt, to balance the egg.. next time, I may try one yolk, 2 whites.. saving the other yolk for a custard to accompany the lemon sage. - mary in mango hill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never have made it with egg so will give it a go. Our recipe is brown sugar, golden syrup or treacle and lemon for flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe & tastes so good. I cooked up some custard and made a swirl of custard before it set. Very yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!! Made this today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete