Tuesday 29 November 2011

Trash Becomes A Treasure


One man's trash is another man's treasure.
So very true !

Years ago now a family member was cleaning out their old back shed and this beautiful old shaving cabinet was about to go into the bin.  Luckily my face popped into his mind and he thought that I may like it.  It came to me all shabby and old with the doors hanging off the hinges.  I originally sanded it back roughly and loved the flakey paint look but recently decided to give it an all over coat of white paint. It looks fresh and new and looks great in my boys room displaying their bits and pieces.
Unfortunately the doors could not be saved due to condition but the surprise came when I sanded back the old painted knobs removing a zillion coats of paint and found sweet little porcelain ones. So pretty !


A more recent find was this fantastic drop side table.  I found it on the side of the road and just in the nick of time too as the garbage truck was only a block away.   It was tired and old and looked as if it had been home to spiders for 50 years.
Much to my children's embarrassment I somehow stuffed it into the back of my car and brought it home.  A quick wash, a light sand and a lick of pretty blue paint and it was ready for it's new home.
These little treasures are out there and if you are lucky to find one and prepared to put in the work to restore it, then you can save yourself some money.  This table is such a solid old piece and guaranteed not to fall apart like a lot of modern day tables.
The thing that I most love about it is that it is completely original.









No comments:

Post a Comment